Hey everyone! Good news! Finally got the check for the sales of the Pin-up Calendar, so I'll be making the donation on Monday! The final amount was $198.33, which isn't too shabby for a first charity drive.
Now that we know what's possible, however, we'd like to try it again. :]
So, here's the stitch.
As many of you undoubtedly know, there is this great organization called the World Wildlife Fund, who are committed to (from their webpage):
* protecting natural areas and wild populations of plants and animals, including endangered species;
* promoting sustainable approaches to the use of renewable natural resources; and
* promoting more efficient use of resources and energy and the maximum reduction of pollution.
Sounds pretty awesome, huh?
Now here's the fun part. As part of their donation scheme, they also have an "Adopt a Species" option. They have 104 different species available for adoption, with many levels of adoption ($25, $50, $100, etc). So, we had an idea.
Here's What We'd Like to Do:
1. Create pin-ups based around an animal (can be girl/boy + animal, girl/boy in animal outfit, girl/boy who is part animal, girl/boy who is anthropomorphic).
2. Collect pin-ups to make into book.
3. Publish said book via lulu/other on-demand printing company.
4. After every $50s of profit, adopt a species from WWF (if we don't have a number divisible by 50, I will make up the rest of it myself).
5. Send the adoption kit to random artist that participated in the book. If we make more than the number of artists, then we will send artists Gift Adoption cards to give to their friends/family.
We thought this way we could get all the artists a little more intimately involved with the donation process! (Plus get little fuzzy animals to boot.)
Rules on the pin-ups will be very lax, we just want them to involve animals in some way! (It's best if you choose an animal on the list of adoptable species, that way I'll know what species to adopt for you!)
I'm not going to set a deadline yet, I'd rather get feedback from you all and figure out what kind of timeline you're interested in. We can also start selling them as prints, if you want to start the fund-raising right away without waiting for an entire book.
As for the book, I think if we can get 20 pages worth of stuff then that'll make it worthwhile. Also each artist should send me a bio and a picture to put in the book, and include a snipet about your favourite animal. :]
If you submit a pin-up, you can also submit a 'portrait' of your animal, if you like!
Let me know what you guys think!
After some feedback, some notes:
1. To keep the book open to a wide audience, no naught bits please. Nudes are fine as long as you gracefully hide the scandalous bits! You can always do two versions of the image for yourself, if you want, but let's keep the book 12+.
2. If you do a print and want to sell it (with the profits going to WWF) from your own page, feel free to post it here and link back, and we'll make sure to keep a running tab of what's available.
3. Please no paintovers/photomanips unless you do your own photography. Basically don't do anything where the copyright of the image would fall under question! Photography is welcome if it's yours, and you credit the model.
4. We are thinking now maybe 64 pages, 1 image per page, six month project. Thoughts? Or maybe do a 25 page book and if we end up with more we can do a second book? I guess it depends on how many entries we get. :P